Begin gathering information about job availabilities near the end of PGY-3 to early PGY-4. Keep job specifics organized in a template or spreadsheet for easy comparison.
Neurosurgery Job Resources
Physician Job Database Resources
- Online resources, i.e., PracticeMatch, CareerMD
- Representatives may call or page you and request information
- You can post a profile, CV, and job preferences online
- Use with caution, it is not always clear to whom or where this information is disseminated
Online Professional Networks
- Be sure to keep your information and network up to date
Inquiring About a Position
- This can be in response to a posting or as a “cold call” to an institution or clinic to see if they are anticipating any openings in the upcoming 6–12 months.
- Institutions/clinics may not publicly advertise or recruit for a position because this also expends resources, thus it is worth contacting practices you are interested in even if no position is advertised.
- The appropriate contact person is usually an HR representative, physician recruiter, practice manager, or Neurosurgery department administrator.
- You can reasonably express interest in a position about 12–14 months in advance of your estimated graduation/training completion.
National Neurological Surgery Society Meetings
These are another setting to meet and network with the Neurological Surgery community in your area.
Next: Scheduling Interviews
Previous: Gathering References and Letters of Recommendation