Get familiar with application and programs. The Committee on Advanced Subspecialty Training (CAST) functions under and is responsible to the Council of The Society of Neurological Surgeons. CAST is responsible for accreditation of subspecialty training fellowships and subspecialty certification of fellows in neurosurgery and for development and updating of subspecialty training requirements.
CAST is in the process of determining guidelines for enfolded fellowships but currently the guidelines are a product of program history and general census in the field.
Subspecialty Matching and Timeline
Each type of fellowship works differently based on the specialty. Deadlines are usually fall to winter of PGY-6 year.
- Pediatric Neurosurgery: SF match opens June of PGY-6 year and match is November/December of PGY-7 year.
- Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery: No match.
- Skull Base Neurosurgery: No match, based on program.
- Spine Neurosurgery: No match.
- Neurosurgical Oncology Fellowship: No match, January of PGY-6.
CNS Fellowship Directory
Next: Finding a Position
Previous: Resident Research Grants and Awards