References: 1. Weinstein, James N., Jon D. Lurie, Tor D. Tosteson, Wenyan Zhao, Emily A. Blood, Anna N. A. Tosteson, Nancy Birkmeyer, et al. “Surgical Compared with Nonoperative Treatment for Lumbar Degenerative Spondylolisthesis. Four-Year Results in the Spine Patient Outcomes Research Trial (SPORT) Randomized and Observational Cohorts.” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume 91, no. 6 (June 2009): 1295–1304. doi:10.2106/JBJS.H.00913.
2. Kim HJ, Chun HJ, Kang KT, et al. The biomechanical effect of pedicle screws’ insertion angle and position on the superior adjacent segment in 1 segment lumbar fusion. Spine 2012;37:1637–44.
3. Ha KY, Schendel MJ, Lewis JL, Ogilvie JW (1993) Effect of immobilization and configuration on lumbar adjacent-segment biomechanics. J Spinal Disord 6:99–105
4. Leone A, Guglielmi G, Cassar-Pullicino VN, et al. Lumbar intervertebral instability: a review. Radiology 2007;245:62–77.
5. Ha KY, Son JM, Im JH, et al. Risk factors for adjacent segment degeneration after surgical correction of degenerative scoliosis. ?Indian J Orthop 2013;47:346–51.
6. Levin DA, Hale J, Bendo JA. Adjacent segment degeneration following spinal fusion for degenerative disc disease. Bull NYU Hosp ?Jt Dis 2007;65:29–36.
7. He B, Yan L, Guo H, Liu T, Wang X, Hao D. The Difference in Superior Adjacent Segment Pathology After Lumbar Posterolateral Fusion by Using 2 Different Pedicle Screw Insertion Techniques in 9-Year Minimum Follow-up. Spine 2014;39:1093-1098.
8. Park P, Garton HJ, Gala VC, et al. Adjacent segment disease after lumbar or lumbosacral fusion: review of the literature. Spine 2004;29:1938–44.
9. Aota Y, Kumano K, Hirabayashi S. Postfusion instability at the adjacent segments after rigid pedicle screw fixation for degenerative lumbar spinal disorders. J Spinal Disord 1995;8:464–73
10. Wiltse LL, Radecki SE, Biel HM, et al. Comparative study of the incidence and severity of degenerative change in the transition zones after instrumented versus noninstrumented fusions of the lumbar spine. J Spinal Disord 1999; 12:27–33.
11. Shah RR, Mohammed S, Saifuddin A, Taylor BA. Radiologic evaluation of adjacent superior segment facet joint violation following transpedicular instrumentation of the lumbar spine. Spine 2003;28: 272–5.
12. Moshirfar A, Jenis LG, Spector LR, et al. Computed tomography evaluation of superior-segment facet-joint violation after pedicle instrumentation of the lumbar spine with a midline surgical approach. Spine 2006;31:2624–9.
13. Knox JB, Dai JM, Orchowski JR. Superior segment facet joint violation and cortical violation after minimally invasive pedicle screw placement. The Spine Journal 2011;11:213-217.
14. Yson SC, Sembrano JN, Sanders PC, et al. Comparison of Cranial Facet Joint Violation Rates Between Open and Percutaneous Pedicle Screw Placement Using Intraoperative 3-D CT Computer Navigation.
15. Parker SL, Adogwa O, Paul AR, et al. Utility of minimum clinically important difference in assessing pain, disability, and health state after transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion for degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis. J Neurosurg Spine. 2011;14(5):598-604. doi:10.3171/2010.12.SPINE10472.
16. Wilson H. Minimum Clinical Important Differences of Health Outcomes in a Chronic Pain Population: Are They Predictive of Poor Outcomes? 2008.
17. DRG Expert. Eden Prairie, Minnesota: Ingenix; 2012
18. Etebar S, Cahill DW. Risk factors for adjacent-segment failure following lumbar fixation with rigid instrumentation for degenerative instability. J Neurosurg 1999;90:163–9.
19. Martin, Brook I., Sohail K. Mirza, Bryan A. Comstock, Darryl T. Gray, William Kreuter, and Richard A. Deyo. “Reoperation Rates Following Lumbar Spine Surgery and the Influence of Spinal Fusion Procedures.” Spine 32, no. 3 (February 1, 2007): 382–87. doi:10.1097/01.brs.0000254104.55716.46.
20. Chen, Zhiming, Jie Zhao, Hao Xu, Aigang Liu, Jiandong Yuan, and Cong Wang. “Technical Factors Related to the Incidence of Adjacent Superior Segment Facet Joint Violation after Transpedicular Instrumentation in the Lumbar Spine.” European Spine Journal: Official Publication of the European Spine Society, the European Spinal Deformity Society, and the European Section of the Cervical Spine Research Society 17, no. 11 (November 2008): 1476–80. doi:10.1007/s00586-008-0776-9.
21. Park, Yung, Joong Won Ha, Yun Tae Lee, and Na Young Sung. “Cranial Facet Joint Violations by Percutaneously Placed Pedicle Screws Adjacent to a Minimally Invasive Lumbar Spinal Fusion.” The Spine Journal: Official Journal of the North American Spine Society 11, no. 4 (April 2011): 295–302. doi:10.1016/j.spinee.2011.02.007.
22. Cardoso, Mario J., Anton E. Dmitriev, Melvin Helgeson, Ronald A. Lehman, Timothy R. Kuklo, and Michael K. Rosner. “Does Superior-Segment Facet Violation or Laminectomy Destabilize the Adjacent Level in Lumbar Transpedicular Fixation? An in Vitro Human Cadaveric Assessment.” Spine 33, no. 26 (December 15, 2008): 2868–73. doi:10.1097/BRS.0b013e31818c63d3.
23. Gatchel RJ, Mayer TG, Theodore BR: The pain disability questionnaire: relationship to one-year functional and psychosocial rehabilitation outcomes. J Occup Rehabil 16:75– 94, 2006
24. Kroenke K, Spitzer RL, Williams JB: The PHQ-9: validity of a brief depression severity measure. J Gen Intern Med 16:606–613, 2001
25. Spitzer RL, Kroenke K, Williams JB: Validation and utility of a self-report version of PRIME-MD: the PHQ primary care study. Primary Care Evaluation of Mental Disorders. Patient Health Questionnaire. JAMA 282:1737–1744, 1999
26. Spitzer RL, Williams JB, Kroenke K, Hornyak R, McMurray J: Validity and utility of the PRIME-MD patient health questionnaire in assessment of 3000 obstetric-gynecologic patients: the PRIME-MD Patient Health Questionnaire Obstetrics-Gynecology Study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 183:759–769, 2000
27. Badia X, Diaz-Prieto A, Gorriz MT, Herdman M, Torrado H, Farrero E, et al: Using the EuroQol-5D to measure changes in quality of life 12 months after discharge from an intensive care unit. Intensive Care Med 27:1901–1907, 2001
28. Jansson KA, Németh G, Granath F, Jönsson B, Blomqvist P: Health-related quality of life in patients before and after surgery for a herniated lumbar disc. J Bone Joint Surg Br 87:959–964, 2005
29. Johnson JA, Coons SJ, Ergo A, Szava-Kovats G: Valuation of EuroQOL (EQ-5D) health states in an adult US sample. Pharmacoeconomics 13:421–433, 1998
30. Kepler CK, Wilkinson SM, Radcliff KE, Vaccaro AR, Anderson DG, Hilibrand AS, et al: Cost-utility analysis in spine care: a systematic review. Spine J 12:676–690, 2012