References: 1. Centers for Disease C, Prevention. Venous thromboembolism in adult hospitalizations - United States, 2007-2009. MMWR Morbidity and mortality weekly report 2012;61:401-404.
2. Dobesh PP, Wittkowsky AK, Stacy Z, et al. Key articles and guidelines in the treatment of venous thromboembolism. Pharmacotherapy 2009;29:1385.
3. Horlander KT, Mannino DM, Leeper KV. Pulmonary embolism mortality in the United States, 1979-1998: an analysis using multiple-cause mortality data. Archives of internal medicine 2003;163:1711-1717.
4. Prandoni P, Lensing AW, Cogo A, et al. The long-term clinical course of acute deep venous thrombosis. Annals of internal medicine 1996;125:1-7.
5. Centers for M, Medicaid Services HHS. Medicare program; hospital inpatient prospective payment systems for acute care hospitals and the long-term care hospital prospective payment system and Fiscal Year 2014 rates; quality reporting requirements for specific providers; hospital conditions of participation; payment policies related to patient status. Final rules. Federal register 2013;78:50495-51040.
6. Mahan CE, Borrego ME, Woersching AL, et al. Venous thromboembolism: annualised United States models for total, hospital-acquired and preventable costs utilising long-term attack rates. Thrombosis and haemostasis 2012;108:291-302.
7. Shah MN, Stoev IT, Sanford DE, et al. Are readmission rates on a neurosurgical service indicators of quality of care? Journal of neurosurgery 2013;119:1043-1049.
8. Spencer FA, Emery C, Lessard D, et al. The Worcester Venous Thromboembolism study: a population-based study of the clinical epidemiology of venous thromboembolism. Journal of general internal medicine 2006;21:722-727.
9. Darze ES, Latado AL, Guimaraes AG, et al. Incidence and clinical predictors of pulmonary embolism in severe heart failure patients admitted to a coronary care unit. Chest 2005;128:2576-2580.
10. Heit JA, O'Fallon WM, Petterson TM, et al. Relative impact of risk factors for deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism: a population-based study. Archives of internal medicine 2002;162:1245-1248.
11. Stein PD, Beemath A, Matta F, et al. Clinical characteristics of patients with acute pulmonary embolism: data from PIOPED II. The American journal of medicine 2007;120:871-879.
12. Hamilton MG, Yee WH, Hull RD, Ghali WA. Venous thromboembolism prophylaxis in patients undergoing cranial neurosurgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Neurosurgery 2011;68:571-581.
13. Browd SR, Ragel BT, Davis GE, Scott AM, Skalabrin EJ, Couldwell WT. Prophylaxis for deep venous thrombosis in neurosurgery: a review of the literature. Neurosurgical focus 2004;17:E1.
14. Hamilton MG, Hull RD, Pineo GF. Venous thromboembolism in neurosurgery and neurology patients: a review. Neurosurgery 1994;34:280-296; discussion 296.
15. Agnelli G, Piovella F, Buoncristiani P, et al. Enoxaparin plus compression stockings compared with compression stockings alone in the prevention of venous thromboembolism after elective neurosurgery. The New England journal of medicine 1998;339:80-85.
16. van Staa TP, Leufkens HG, Abenhaim L, Begaud B, Zhang B, Cooper C. Use of oral corticosteroids in the United Kingdom. QJM : monthly journal of the Association of Physicians 2000;93:105-111.
17. Souverein PC, Berard A, Van Staa TP, et al. Use of oral glucocorticoids and risk of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disease in a population based case-control study. Heart 2004;90:859-865.
18. Wei L, MacDonald TM, Walker BR. Taking glucocorticoids by prescription is associated with subsequent cardiovascular disease. Annals of internal medicine 2004;141:764-770.
19. Squizzato A, Gerdes VE, Ageno W, Buller HR. The coagulation system in endocrine disorders: a narrative review. Internal and emergency medicine 2007;2:76-83.
20. Stuijver DJ, van Zaane B, Feelders RA, et al. Incidence of venous thromboembolism in patients with Cushing's syndrome: a multicenter cohort study. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism 2011;96:3525-3532.
21. Van Zaane B, Nur E, Squizzato A, et al. Hypercoagulable state in Cushing's syndrome: a systematic review. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism 2009;94:2743-2750.
22. User Guide for the 2013 ACS NSQIP Procedure Targeted Participant Use Data File. American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program. Chicago: ACS-NSQIP, 2013.
23. Rolston JD, Han SJ, Lau CY, Berger MS, Parsa AT. Frequency and predictors of complications in neurological surgery: national trends from 2006 to 2011. Journal of neurosurgery 2014;120:736-745.
24. Merrill A, Millham, F. Increased risk of postoperative deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: a study of National Surgical Quality Improvement Program patients. Archives of Surgery 2012;147:120-124.
25. Calvo-Alen J, Toloza SM, Fernandez M, et al. Systemic lupus erythematosus in a multiethnic US cohort (LUMINA). XXV. Smoking, older age, disease activity, lupus anticoagulant, and glucocorticoid dose as risk factors for the occurrence of venous thrombosis in lupus patients. Arthritis and rheumatism 2005;52:2060-2068.
26. Gangireddy C, Rectenwald JR, Upchurch GR, et al. Risk factors and clinical impact of postoperative symptomatic venous thromboembolism. Journal of vascular surgery 2007;45:335-341; discussion 341-332.
27. Grainge MJ, West J, Card TR. Venous thromboembolism during active disease and remission in inflammatory bowel disease: a cohort study. Lancet 2010;375:657-663.
28. Mukherjee AP, Toh BH, Chan GL, Lau KS, White JC. Vasculas complications in nephrotic syndrome: relationship to steroid therapy and accelerated thromboplastin generation. British medical journal 1970;4:273-276.
29. Zamagni E, Brioli A, Tacchetti P, Zannetti B, Pantani L, Cavo M. Multiple myeloma, venous thromboembolism, and treatment-related risk of thrombosis. Seminars in thrombosis and hemostasis 2011;37:209-219.
30. Wallaert JB, De Martino RR, Marsicovetere PS, et al. Venous thromboembolism after surgery for inflammatory bowel disease: are there modifiable risk factors? Data from ACS NSQIP. Diseases of the colon and rectum 2012;55:1138-1144.
31. Huerta C, Johansson S, Wallander MA, Garcia Rodriguez LA. Risk factors and short-term mortality of venous thromboembolism diagnosed in the primary care setting in the United Kingdom. Archives of internal medicine 2007;167:935-943.
32. Johannesdottir SA, Horvath-Puho E, Dekkers OM, et al. Use of glucocorticoids and risk of venous thromboembolism: a nationwide population-based case-control study. JAMA internal medicine 2013;173:743-752.
33. Stephens PH, Healy MT, Smith M, Jewkes DA. Prophylaxis against thromboembolism in neurosurgical patients: a survey of current practice in the United Kingdom. British journal of neurosurgery 1995;9:159-163.
34. Danish SF, Burnett MG, Stein SC. Prophylaxis for deep venous thrombosis in patients with craniotomies: a review. Neurosurgical focus 2004;17:E2.
35. Morange PE, Aubert J, Peiretti F, et al. Glucocorticoids and insulin promote plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 production by human adipose tissue. Diabetes 1999;48:890-895.
36. Heaton JH, Nebes VL, O'Dell LG, Morris SM, Jr., Gelehrter TD. Glucocorticoid and cyclic nucleotide regulation of plasminogen activator and plasminogen activator-inhibitor gene expression in primary cultures of rat hepatocytes. Molecular endocrinology 1989;3:185-192.
37. Brotman DJ, Girod JP, Posch A, et al. Effects of short-term glucocorticoids on hemostatic factors in healthy volunteers. Thrombosis research 2006;118:247-252.