In gratitude of the loyal support of our members, the CNS is offering complimentary 2021 Annual Meeting registration to all members! Learn more.

  • Long-term Outcomes after Intraventricular Thrombolysis and Endovascular Therapy for High-Grade Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage

    Final Number:
    128

    Authors:
    John H. Wong MD, MSc; Alim P. Mitha MD, SM; Andreas H Kramer MD

    Study Design:
    Clinical Trial

    Subject Category:

    Meeting: Congress of Neurological Surgeons 2014 Annual Meeting

    Introduction: Chemical thrombolysis with intraventricular tissue plasminogen activator (TPA) after endovascular aneurysm occlusion, may offer benefit related to accelerated clot clearance from the subarachnoid and intraventricular spaces. We examined the long-term results of our local policy of treating patients with high-grade aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage, with intraventricular TPA after endovascular aneurysm occlusion with a view towards safety and feasibility.

    Methods: From 2002-2007, we initiated a prospective institutional protocol of acutely treating selected patients with high-grade SAH (Hunt-Hess grades 3-5) and large volume subarachnoid and intraventricular hemorrhage (Fisher grades 3-4) after aneurysm occlusion, with intraventricular dose(s) of TPA. Long-term follow-up of clinical recovery and radiological surveillance was performed annually or more in a specialty clinic.

    Results: Twenty-two patients (64% female, mean age 55 years) were identified. All expect one had diffuse thick SAH with intraventricular blood, and all required external ventricular drainage. Six patients were initially classified as Hunt-Hess grade 5, 12 patients were grade 4, and 4 were grade 3. All were treated acutely by coil embolization except two with n-acetyl cyanoacrylate. All patients underwent (repeated) dosing of TPA, typically in 4 mg aliquots, via the ventriculostomy catheter. Serial imaging showed evidence of significant new bleeding after treatment in two patients (9%) but the remaining 91% of patients had substantial reduction in amount of intracranial blood. Followup angiography in 16 patients showed three had severe radiologic vasospasm (19%), one moderate (6%), five mild (31%), and seven none (44%). Two moribund patients died due to refractory intracranial hypertension. Long-term clinical follow-up of 17 survivors showed no to slight disability in 9 (53%), moderate disability in 4 (24%), and severe disability in 4 (24%).

    Conclusions: In high-grade aneurysmal SAH, endovascular aneurysm treatment combined with intraventricular thrombolysis is feasible, accelerates clearance of subarachnoid and intracranial blood, and may be associated with favorable long-term outcomes. Further studies are warranted.

    Patient Care: Our protocol may offer a method of accelerating clearance of subarachnoid blood after aneurysm rupture thus reducing its associated sequelae and morbidity.

    Learning Objectives: By the conclusion of this session, participants should be able to: 1) Describe the rationale for intraventricular thrombolysis after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage, and 2) Describe its related potential risks and benefits.

    References:

We use cookies to improve the performance of our site, to analyze the traffic to our site, and to personalize your experience of the site. You can control cookies through your browser settings. Please find more information on the cookies used on our site. Privacy Policy