In gratitude of the loyal support of our members, the CNS is offering complimentary 2021 Annual Meeting registration to all members! Learn more.

  • Risk Factors for Laminectomy Surgical Site Infection in a Majority Minority Patient Population

    Final Number:
    115

    Authors:
    Aniebiet-Abasi U. B. Udofia MD, MBA; Tolulope Oyetunji MD, MPH; Damirez Fossett MD

    Study Design:
    Other

    Subject Category:

    Meeting: Congress of Neurological Surgeons 2014 Annual Meeting

    Introduction: Surgical site infection (SSI) following spine surgery remains a serious post-operative complication with rates of infection ranging from 1% to 12%. Several patient, microbiological and procedure-related risk factors have been identified in the literature, but how these findings differ based upon race and/or socioeconomic status has not previously been explored.

    Methods: A retrospective review of surgical site infection in 199 consecutive laminectomy cases performed by a single surgeon at a Level-1 trauma center in an urban setting with a majority minority patient population. Regression analysis was performed to determine the effects of race, age, sex, use of drugs, alcohol or tobacco, co-morbidities including HIV, Hepatitis C, hypertension and diabetes mellitus, and homelessness upon the likelihood of developing a SSI.

    Results: Overall incidence of SSI was 19.6% with a mean of 15 days until initial presentation. 55% of the patient population was female with a mean age of 54 years. 88% of the patient population identified as Black, 7% as Caucasian, 4% as Hispanic and 1% as another race. 92% of infections occurred in Black patients, with the remaining 8% occurring in Caucasians. Positive HIV or Hepatitis C status, or homelessness were identified as significant risk factors. 85% of all HIV and 89% of all homeless patients had Medicaid insurance.

    Conclusions: Incidence of SSI following laminectomy in our majority minority population is significantly higher than rates previously reported. Factors contributing to this include positive HIV or Hepatitis C status, or homelessness, which disproportionately affect minorities. Insurance status can also present challenges for post-operative rehabilitation facility placement or extended wound care. When considering mainly elective procedures such as laminectomy, the decision to operate must include a comprehensive plan that demonstrates an awareness of socioeconomic factors unique to this population that can lead to postoperative complications.

    Patient Care: By providing a platform for further research, this data will allow for the development of a patient profile of those at greater risk for developing an infection following laminectomy, and the development of a post-operative antibiotic protocol with this profile in mind. The cost of hospital readmission for infection can also be calculated versus the cost of mitigating these risk factors.

    Learning Objectives: By the conclusion of this session, participants should be able to: 1) Identify socioeconomic risk factors contributing to SSI in a majority minority population, 2) Generate ideas for how to mitigate against these risk factors

    References:

We use cookies to improve the performance of our site, to analyze the traffic to our site, and to personalize your experience of the site. You can control cookies through your browser settings. Please find more information on the cookies used on our site. Privacy Policy