References: 1. Heffler S, Smith S, Keehan S, Clemens MK, Won G, Zezza M. Health spending projections for 2002-2012. Health affairs. Jan-Jun 2003;Suppl Web Exclusives:W3-54-65.
2. Commission TJ. Surgical Care Improvement Project. 2012; http://www.jointcommission.org/surgical_care_improvement_project/. Accessed 2/12/14, 2014.
3. Ingraham AM, Richards KE, Hall BL, Ko CY. Quality improvement in surgery: the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program approach. Advances in surgery. 2010;44:251-267.
4. Guillamondegui OD, Gunter OL, Hines L, et al. Using the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program and the Tennessee Surgical Quality Collaborative to improve surgical outcomes. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. Apr 2012;214(4):709-714; discussion 714-706.
5. Richardson WCB, D.M.; Bisgard, J.C.; Bristow, L.R.; Buck, C.R.; Cassel, C.K.; Chassin, M.R.; Coye, M.J.; Detmer, D.E.; Grossman, J.H.; James, B.; Lawrence, D.M.; Leape, L.L.; Levin, A.; Robinson-Beale, R.; Scherger, J.E.; Southam, A.; Wakefield, M.; Warden, G.L. Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. Washington, D.C.: Institute of Medicine;2001.
6. Rasouli MR, Jaberi MM, Hozack WJ, Parvizi J, Rothman RH. Surgical care improvement project (SCIP): has its mission succeeded? The Journal of arthroplasty. Aug 2013;28(7):1072-1075.
7. Hawn MT, Vick CC, Richman J, et al. Surgical site infection prevention: time to move beyond the surgical care improvement program. Annals of surgery. Sep 2011;254(3):494-499; discussion 499-501.
8. Wang Y, Eldridge N, Metersky ML, et al. National trends in patient safety for four common conditions, 2005-2011. The New England journal of medicine. Jan 23 2014;370(4):341-351.
9. Clark RE. The STS National Database: alive, well, and growing. The Annals of thoracic surgery. Jul 1991;52(1):5.
10. Hall BL, Hamilton BH, Richards K, Bilimoria KY, Cohen ME, Ko CY. Does surgical quality improve in the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program: an evaluation of all participating hospitals. Annals of surgery. Sep 2009;250(3):363-376.
11. McGirt MJ, Speroff T, Dittus RS, Harrell FE, Jr., Asher AL. The National Neurosurgery Quality and Outcomes Database (N2QOD): general overview and pilot-year project description. Neurosurgical focus. Jan 2013;34(1):E6.
12. Basques BA, Varthi AG, Golinvaux NS, Bohl DD, Grauer JN. Patient Characteristics Associated With Increased Postoperative Length of Stay and Readmission After Elective Laminectomy for Lumbar Spinal Stenosis. Spine. Feb 12 2014.
13. Bekelis K, Bakhoum SF, Desai A, Mackenzie TA, Roberts DW. Outcome prediction in intracranial tumor surgery: the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program 2005-2010. Journal of neuro-oncology. May 2013;113(1):57-64.
14. Bekelis K, Desai A, Bakhoum SF, Missios S. A predictive model of complications after spine surgery: the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP) 2005-2010. The spine journal : official journal of the North American Spine Society. Oct 4 2013.
15. Buerba RA, Fu MC, Grauer JN. Anterior and posterior cervical fusion in patients with high body mass index are not associated with greater complications. The spine journal : official journal of the North American Spine Society. Oct 24 2013.
16. Buerba RA, Fu MC, Gruskay JA, Long WD, 3rd, Grauer JN. Obese Class III patients at significantly greater risk of multiple complications after lumbar surgery: an analysis of 10,387 patients in the ACS NSQIP database. The spine journal : official journal of the North American Spine Society. Dec 6 2013.
17. Marquez-Lara A, Nandyala SV, Sankaaranrayanan S, Noureldin MN, Singh K. Body Mass Index as a Predictor of Complications and Mortality Following Lumbar Spine Surgery. Spine. Jan 29 2014.
18. Nandyala SV, Marquez-Lara A, Park DK, et al. Incidence, Risk Factors, and Outcomes of Postoperative Airway Management After Cervical Spine Surgery. Spine. Jan 29 2014.
19. Pugely AJ, Martin CT, Gao Y, Mendoza-Lattes SA. Outpatient surgery reduces short-term complications in lumbar discectomy: an analysis of 4310 patients from the ACS-NSQIP database. Spine. Feb 1 2013;38(3):264-271.
20. Rolston JD, Han SJ, Lau CY, Berger MS, Parsa AT. Frequency and predictors of complications in neurological surgery: national trends from 2006 to 2011. Journal of neurosurgery. Mar 2014;120(3):736-745.
21. Schoenfeld AJ, Carey PA, Cleveland AW, 3rd, Bader JO, Bono CM. Patient factors, comorbidities, and surgical characteristics that increase mortality and complication risk after spinal arthrodesis: a prognostic study based on 5,887 patients. The spine journal : official journal of the North American Spine Society. Oct 2013;13(10):1171-1179.