An 18 year old male with headaches and visual loss
An 18 year old male is sent to the emergency room by his ophthalmologist who was working up his progressive visual loss. The loss has been over the past 3 months and his workup included an MRI of the brain. The patient also endorses headaches for the same time period.
The visual loss is described as a blurriness in the left eye only.
Some loss of acuity grossly in the left visual field
Remainder of cranial nerves II-XII are intact
Full strength throughout
Your answers will be added to those already obtained and tabulated at the end of the month.
- Sheehan J, Kondziolka D, Flickinger J, Lunsford LD. Radiosurgery for treatment of recurrent intracranial hemangiopericytomas. Neurosurgery 2002;51(4):905–910
- Veeravagu A, Jiang B, Patil CG, et al. CyberKnife stereotactic radiosurgery for recurrent, metastatic, and residual hemangiopericytomas. J Hematol Oncol 2011;4:26.
- Ahn ES, Goumnerova L. Endoscopic biopsy of brain tumors in children: diagnostic success and utility in guiding treatment strategies. J Neurosurg Pediatrics. 2010 Mar; 5 (3): 255-62
- Is There a Need for Gross Total Resection in Management of Hemangiopericytomas in the Era of Radiosurgery?. In: Quinones-Hinojosa A, Raza S, Hrsg. Controversies in Neuro-Oncology. Best Evidence Medicine for Brain Tumor Surgery . 1st Edition. Thieme; 2013.
- Pineal region tumors. In: Greenberg M, Hrsg. Handbook of Neurosurgery. 8th Edition. Thieme; 2016.
- Edwards MSB, Hudgins RJ, Wilson CB, et al. Pineal Region Tumors in Children. J Neurosurg. 1988;68:689-697.
- Regis J, Bouillot P, Rouby-Volot F, et al. Pineal Region Tumors and the Role of Stereotactic Biopsy: Review of the Mortality, Morbidity, and Diagnostic Rates in 370 Cases. Neurosurgery. 1996;39:907-914.
- Rutkowski MJ, Sughrue ME, Kane AJ, et al. Predictors of mortality following treatment of intracranial hemangiopericytoma. J Neurosurg 2010;113(2):333–339
- Chamberlain MC, Glantz MJ. Sequential salvage chemotherapy for recurrent intracranial hemangiopericytoma. Neurosurgery 2008;63(4):720–726, author reply 726–727