Bland W. Cannon
Bland Wilson Cannon was born on April 4, 1920 in Brownsville, Tennessee. He attended Rhodes College and received a B.S. degree in 1941. He then attended Northwestern University Graduate School and had a fellowship at the Institute of Neurology in 1942 and 1944. He received his M.D. degree from Northwestern University Medical School and interned at New York Hospital in New York City between 1944 and 1945. He had a fellowship at the Mayo Foundation from 1945 to 1946 and served as a captain in the Army Medical Corps at the 98th General Hospital in Germany from 1946 to 1948. He then returned to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester where he completed his neurosurgical training between 1948 and 1950. Dr. Cannon then entered the private practice of neurological surgery in Memphis, Tennessee. He keenly felt the need of a national neurosurgical society that would admit neurosurgeons soon after completion of their training. He met with several other young neurosurgeons who felt a similar need and he became chairman pro tern of the organizing group. He became a founding member of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS) when this group met in St. Louis on May 10, 1951. Dr. Bland Cannon was the first secretary of the Congress and served as president of the CNS in 1956 at the meeting in Chicago.
Dr. Cannon was certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery in 1952 and he became a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons in 1953. He became president of the Tennessee Medical Association in 1963 and served in the House of Delegates of the American Medical Association (AMA) from 1965 to 1975. He was a member of the Council on Medical Education of the AMA between 1965 and 1975 and he became special advisor to the chancellor on professional affairs at the University of Tennessee Center of the Health Sciences from 1972 to 1980. He was promoted to clinical professor of neurosurgery at the University of Tennessee. He became chairman of the Department of Neurosurgery at the Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis and was vice chancellor for Academic Affairs pro tern, of the University of Tennessee Center for Health Sciences in 1974. He was on the Developmental Council of the University of Tennessee between 1975 and 1990. He was on the Medical Advisory Board of Arthur Young & Company from 1983 to 1986. He became a consultant to the Bureau of Health Insurance of the Social Security Administration and he became a consultant to the Division of Comprehensive Health planning for the Public Health Service.
Dr. Cannon continued in the active practice of neurological surgery until 1980. He then retired to pursue a business career. He is now president of Associated Health Consultants Inc. and is a partner in Cannon, Austin and Cannon, Incorporated, which is a real estate development company. He is a trustee of Rhodes College and is on the Board of Governors of the Institute of Living in Hartford, Connecticut. He is advisor of the Memphis-Shelby County International Airport Authority and is chairman of research and development, Chatanooga Group, Inc.
Dr. Cannon received the Award for Service of the House of Delegates of the AMA in 1973 and the L. M. Graves Health Award in 1973. He received the Mid-South Medical Center Council Award for Leadership and Service and the Certificate of Recognition of the CNS in 1975. He was given a Resolution of Appreciation by the Memphis-Shelby County International Airport Authority in 1978 and received the Bartlett Recognition Award, Foundation for Physical Therapy in 1989. Dr. Cannon has published articles dealing with basic neurophysiological and clinical neurosurgical research. His publications also include philosophical treatises. Dr. Cannon married Louise Shrader Cannon who received her B.A. degree from Carleton College in 1941.
Dr. Cannon has homes in both Memphis, Tennessee and in Florida.